Saturday, October 29, 2011

Basic Biscotti

As graduate students, we really like our caffeinated beverages.  And by really like, I mean probably couldn't live without.  In fact, I no longer dilute my magical coffee with things like sugar or cream.  Much to The Sleepy One's amusement, I prefer my coffee 'straight up'.  And occasionally Irish.

But sometimes I like a little treat/sustenance with my tea or coffee.  Enter the biscotti.  Basically a crisp cookie that cafes will try to sell for $2 a pop.  Perfect for dunking, but not perfect for my pocketbook.  So here is a basic recipe for biscotti that you can flavor as you choose.  This batch I made with some homemade orange extract, the recipe for which you can find here.

To make the biscotti, you will need:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring (vanilla, orange, almond, or anise extract)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder


Beat oil, sugar, eggs, and flavoring in a bowl until blended.  Slowly stir in flour and baking powder until a dough is formed.  Divide in half.  Form each half into roll or log and roll as long as your cookie sheet.  Place each roll on a greased or parchment covered cookie sheet. Press down the top of each roll until they are ½ inch think and flat on top.



Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven; allow to cool until cool enough to handle.  Remove from cookie sheet and cut each log, at an angle, into ½ inch slices.  



Place the slices  cut side down back on the baking sheet.  Bake for 5 minutes; flip the slices over and bake for another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.



Store in an air-tight container.  Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea during a study break.

- The Pink One

No comments:

Post a Comment